Monday, October 1, 2012

October Begins!

                             The Silent Movie Theater (AKA Cinefamily)


Ah, my favorite time of year, October. The oppressive summer heat gives way to mild temperatures. The leaves turn colors. Baseball and warm apple pie, kids dressing up for halloween, costume parties, horror films!  Halloween isn't a stressful holiday, no pressure to buy gifts, no family obligations, no guilt.  It is what you want it to be. 

For me, Halloween in LA is buckets of blood splattered on the silver screen, baby! You can't catapult a dead body without hitting a local theater that's putting on a horror show inside its doors. The Aero theater has it's annual all-night horror marathon and even programs its normal time slots with ghastly features. The Egyptian Theater will do several scary double features. The Cinefamily calendar is usually programmed with all horror films every day for the whole month of October. The New Beverly cinema always ups it's horror content in the Halloween weeks as well as putting on their own all-nighter.  The Nuart Midnights will slant toward horror as Hallow's eve approaches. Then we have the festivals. Screamfest for 9 days! Shriekfest for an early weekend in October. Then on top of that there is always the stray screening that happens around town. You could see a horror film every day on the big screen if you wanted. Hell, multiple horror films a day! When October rolls around I feel like a zombie in a shopping mall full of people.

I swear every year that I will blog about my October experience. This year I mean it. In fact, I started my own blog page.  Welcome!  Not sure where I will take my endeavors after the October month. So follow along with me. First up will be Night Warning at the Cinefamily tonight! Yup, the 1st day of the month it all starts. No hesitation. No waiting. October comes. BAM! Start the projector. The horror show is about to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment