Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 14: American Scream and The Possession

Today's double feature is the documentary American Scream and the Andrzej Zulawski's Possession. Not technically a double bill, but just the two films I saw that Sunday. I only wish that every Sunday could be so cool.



American Scream is by Michael Stephenson, the same director who brought you The Best Worst Movie, the documentary on the cult following of the film Troll 2. He has a way of treating subject matter with respect. He could have easily just poked fun at the subjects and the whole phenomena behind the cult following of the movie, but he doesn't. He has a way at presenting his subjects and making them endearing. Here his subject is 3 families that are obsessed with decorating for Halloween and holding their own homemade Haunted Houses. 

If you have ever been in a community play, or ever made your own homemade movie, or ever done anything like that, I think you will relate to this film. It will make you love Halloween. Hell, it's  one of the best explanations of why I like Halloween so much that I have seen. I was just never able to put it into words. This will make you yearn for it. After the film I immediately wanted to decorate for halloween. Problem this year is I am going to so many movies there just isn't enough time.

I highly recommend checking it out. I think anyone would love this film, not just horror fans, but anyone who doesn't hate Halloween.


Oh man, what can I say about Possession. I saw it for the first time about 8 months or so ago when they showed it before. My reaction when the credits rolled was, "Where have you been all my life." I fell in love with the movie. I fell in love with Isabelle Adjani's psychotic performance. I fell head over heels for Sam Neill's intense acting. I reeled over the stunning editing and direction. I think that the performances given are the bravest performances I have ever seen put to film. What an emotionally traumatic experience it must have been to have gone through this as an actor. It's not a film for everyone. It's a true art-house style movie. Your brain will hurt as you try to put all the pieces together, but perhaps, that's not the point.  The point is the feeling and emotions and impression you get from the movie. It's a movie about  divorce with some creatures that are personifications of the characters feelings. Yeah, so it's not your typical slasher or werewolf movie. How many horror films do you know about divorce! I walked away drained. Couldn't get the film out of my head. Revisiting it again months later just makes me want to see it again. Do yourself a favor and see this movie!

The relationship is not going so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment